Your favorite D/A converter may not be the latest but you like its sound, appearance and features. So you don't want to buy another expensive DAC just to connect it to a computer.
This is where our interfaces come in. The INT204 allows any DAC to be connected to a USB ported computer. This is done, optimally, by slaving the computer's clock to the INT204's internally generated clock.
The INT204 is a USB to AES/EBU (unidirectional) interface which also handles DSD to PCM conversion. DSD files played to the INT204 result in conversion to PCM at a, selectable, sampling frequency and word-length. So your trusted D/A Converter becomes a DSD capable DAC.
In addition the INT204 can work as a digital volume control device, controlled via an infrared remote unit.
The INT204 is housed in a silver anodized aluminum frame.
Two power sources are required for the INT204. One is the bus power fed via the USB connector, the other is an external power supply which is supplied with the INT204 unit. This scheme allows to have the input and output sections of the INT204 galvanically isolated.
The sampling frequency is generated with an internal generator in the INT204. This makes sure the transfer between computer and D/A Converter is low jitter.
A USB type B connector is used a connection to the computer.
There are one XLR socket, one BNC socket and one RCA socket. BNC and RCA sockets are driven by the same driver chip.
Front panel controls
There are eight LEDs for sampling frequency display and power status. A switch allows to select the sampling frequency when doing DSD to PCM conversion (176.4 or 88.2 kHz). Another switch selects the word-length when doing DSD to PCM conversion (24 or 16 Bit). A power switch handles the power on/off for the external power supply input.
Back panel elements from left to right
There is a power inlet for the external power supply, the USB connector, the three output connectors (BNC, RCA, XLR).
The INT204 can do DSD to PCM conversion at selectable sampling frequencies and word-length (88.2 or 176.4 kHz and 16 or 24 Bit). The DSD input is in the DoP format with a sampling frequency of DSD64 (2.8224 MHz) or DSD128 (5.6448 MHz).
Supported PCM sampling frequencies are all standard frequencies between 44.1 kHz and 384 kHz. The sampling frequency of 352.8 kHz is automatically converted to 176.4 kHz and the sampling frequency of 384 kHz is converted to 192 kHz as the AES/EBU or S/PDIF formats do not support sampling frequencies higher than 192 kHz.
Optionally an IR remote control can be purchased to control the audio volume in the digital domain.
External power supply, requirement is 6…9V at 0.15 A
- Depth: 16,5 cm
- Width: 10,5 cm
- Height: 4,4 cm
- Height with feet: 4,7 cm
(1) USB type B connector
- (1) BNC connector
- (1) RCA connector
- (1) XLR connector
- Word-length up to 24 Bits
- Supported sampling frequencies: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz
- Sampling frequency is generated internally
- Supported sampling frequencies: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz, 352.8 kHz, 384 kHz, DSD64, DSD128
- Conversion from DS64 or DSD128 to PCM at 88.2 kHz or 176.4 kHz and 16 Bits or 24 Bits
- Conversion from 352.8kHz to 176.4kHz and 384kHz to 192kHz
- IR controlled volume control with dithering for optimum audio quality
Choosing the proper interface model depends on the computer and D/A Converter at hand. And on your preferences. Here are some guidelines:
- You would like to use Firewire or Thunderbolt connections to your computer: Choose the INT202 or INT203 described elsewhere.
- Your DAC supports the 176.4 kHz or 192 kHz sampling frequencies with the dual wire scheme only: Choose the INT202 described elsewhere.
- You would like to have a volume control feature: Choose the INT202 or INT203 described elsewhere. Or have the INT204 with the IR remote control option.
- You would like to have an input to the computer as well: Choose the INT203 described elsewhere.
- You would like to connect the computer via USB: Choose the INT204.
- You would like to play back DSD files on a standard PCM D/A Converter: Choose the INT204.
For Frequently Asked Questions and discussions about this and other products our new Forum will be available soon.
Thank you for your patience.